Yesterday, I went to the Sheridan’s Irish Food Festival in Co. Cavan. The weather was glorious, there were over 100 Irish producers and people flocked in their thousands. I brought home all sorts of wonderful goodies but I think none marked me more than the strawberry punnet I bought from Clarke’s Fresh Fruit stall. Their strawberries are firm but juicy, sweet but tangy. They are in fact the nicest strawberries I’ve had in many years. I couldn’t wait to get home to tuck into them and I ate about half of the punnet standing beside my sink. With the other half I made the following strawberry salad.
- 2 large handfuls of mixed salad leaves. You will want aromatics in this strawberry salad. The bolder the taste, the better. Think rocket, endive, mint, spinach, beetroot, celery leaves.
- Half a punnet of strawberries
- 1 bunch of scallions
- 1 teaspoon of crushed black pepper
- 1 table spoon of balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- Wash and drain your salad leaves
- Slice your strawberries
- Cut your scallions in small pieces
- Mix the leaves, strawberries and scallions.
- Sprinkle with the pepper and drizzle with the vinegar and oil.
- Mix well