Slow Cooker Beef Cheeks Recipe
This is an easy one. I won’t tell you a story to accompany this slow cooker beef cheeks recipe. My granny never made it (no slow cooker in them days), my mammy never made it (I don’t think I ever tasted a beef cheek until I was in my mid 30’s and what a shame that is). It’s a wham it in the crock pot and let it cook thank you mam.
I ate dinner in Night Market in Ranelagh last month and although it was cramped and too hot, the food was exquisite. I came out of there full and yet wanting to cook. This stew is a result of the food we had in there, paired with my over zealous brain and my over flowing spice cabinet.
- 2 beef cheeks (got mine from Lawlor’s butcher in Rathgar)
- 3 star anise
- 1 table spoon of cumin seeds
- 10 cardamon pods
- 1 table spoon of cracked black pepper
- 1 table spoon of chili flakes
- 2 table spoons of soy sauce
- 1 cube of chicken stock
- 1 table spoon of turmeric
- 1 garlic bulb
- Put all the ingredients in the slow cooker. The garlic cloves are peeled but whole.
- Pour water off the boil up until about half the height of the meat.
- Cover and cook in on high for 2 hours.
- Turn the meat gently and cook on slow for 3 hours. Turn it one more time and cook for another hour.
- Sieve the sauce if you like and serve on some noodles.
Here are a few other previous recipes in the slow cooker series. First, a gorgeous chicken dish and a more recent slow cooker rabbit stew.