ROASTED CELERIAC, TOMATO AND APPLE SOUP
Soups are good for you and easy to make. If you are lucky enough to be working from home they’re a great quick lunch option. You can make a batch of soup for the freezer and then reheat it on demand. Alternatively, you can prepare the vegs and freeze them, ready to be added to a boiling stock when you are ready. I used to be soup adverse. I felt it was more punishment that nourishment and a bit of a waste of a meal but someone gave me a recipe for an orange and lentil soup and it was a total game changer. Since then, I’m mad for soup, I need to have it at least once a week, heck, some of my best friends are bowls of soup now.
I had a celeriac knocking about and I asked for suggestions on what to do with it over on insta and the overwhelming majority came back with soup or remoulade. Remoulade is a creamy celeriac slaw which I enjoy but I believe it belongs with summer meals, with beautiful grilled fish. But someone sent me an Ottolenghi recipe which made think about what way to season the celeriac differently. She said I should roast it whole with crushed coriander seeds. I never use coriander seeds but my interest was picked and from there, this soup was born. I hope you make it and I hope you like it!
- one smallish celeriac
- one medium size rooster spud
- 6 tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 1 apple
- 1 table spoon of korean chili flakes or unsmoked gentle chili flakes
- 1 table spoon of coriander seeds
- 12 strands of saffron
- 1 veg cube
- olive oil
- sour cream for garnish
- Pre-heat your oven to 170 degrees.
- Peel the celeriac and cut it in large wedges. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with the crushed coriander seeds.
- Roast in the oven for about an hour or until the veg is nicely soft.
- In a large pot, place your cut onion, tomatoes and potato and add your cooked celeriac. Add some water (you don’t want every thing to be covered but nearly), chili, the cube and saffron at the end.
- Bring it to the boil and then lower the heat, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Blend until smooth and serve with a dollop of sour cream