RASPBERRY AND BLACKBERRY MUFFIN CAKE
This raspberry and blackberry muffin cake is easily assembled and is delicious eaten still slightly warm with a cuppa. As any muffin, it is best eaten on the day of baking, it doesn’t age particularly well.
It’s not overly sweet and the couple of drops of almond extract paired with the red berries give it a touch of the Bakewell but in a much softer format.
This is the same base recipe as my Raspberry and Pear Muffin Loaf but less sweet and the flavours are a good bit more wintery and turn towards comfort. This muffin cake would stand a good dollop of warm custard.
- 250 g of plain flour
- 100 g of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 4 drops of almond extract
- 250 ml of milk
- 50 cl of olive oil
- 1 punnet of raspberries
- 1 punnet of blackberries
- You need to make sure your oven is really hot so pre-heat it to 200 C.
- Use two separate bowls. Leave the fruits to the side for now.
- In the first bowl mix all your dry ingredients and in your second one mix all your wet ingredients.
- You can then combine the two together but don’t over beat it or anything. You will get an incredibly silky and shiny batter.
- Add your fruits and pour in an oiled dish. A loaf dish works a treat.
- After 10 min bring down the heat to 180 C and cook for another 30 min or until you do the knife test and it comes out clean.
- Leave it to cool down on a tray before cutting it.