No Churn Rhubarb and Blackberry Ice Cream
The sun is shining this week and the rhubarb is in season so I’m thinking rhubarb ice cream. I’ve had to try to be better with my diet and to reduce the added salt and sugar you find in most shop bought foods. This means I’m cooking a lot from scratch and I’m trying to cut out unnecessary sugar and salt. Let’s not kid ourselves though, I’m a food lover through and through and what I eat must satisfy me. There will be no fooling these taste buds. Follow my lead and give it a try, you won’t look back.
- 5 very ripe bananas;
- 1 bunch of rhubarb (4 or 5 sticks)
- 1 punnet of blackberries
- 5 pears
- Chop your bananas and freeze them for about 4 hours
- Cut up your rhubarb in thumb size pieces, rinse your blackberries, and peel and cut up your pears
- Cook the rhubarb, blackberries and pears for 20 min on very low heat. Once they have softened and cooked down they are stewed. Mix them well but don’t blend. The small pieces remaining are lovely for textures.
- Remove your bananas from the freezer and let them defrost for about 30 min
- Place your bananas in your blender and add 2/3 of the stewed fruit (this will be at room temperature).
- Blend until smooth
- Pour in a bowl and mix the rest of the stewed fruit in gently. You’re going for a swirl effect so don’t mix it too much! Place back in the freezer for at least 2 hours.
- Make sure that you take it out of the freezer about 90 min before you eat it. It will be creamy and delicious.
Photos by Tinka Foto.