Melon And Feta Salad With Passion Fruit Dressing
This melon and feta salad celebrates everything I love about summer: ripe fruits, spicy food and a smell that calls you from the other side of the garden.
I love a simple salad but I also enjoy a more complicated fare. A dish with layers of sweet and savoury, cooling and fiery topped with an intriguing vinaigrette your guest can’t “quite place” is a success in my book. And this is how, layer after layer of ingredients, I assembled this wonderfully complex melon and feta salad. The crunch of the passion fruit seeds is an added layer of sheer bliss. It tastes of summer.
First you need to make marinated feta . You should have marinated feta in your fridge on a regular basis as it livens up everything. Please make it at least 4 hours before the time you want to eat at. This feta benefits greatly from time as the mix of flavours develops and deepens.
- See the link above for the ingredients required for the marinated feta.
- One head of romaine lettuce (the texture is just the right side of crunchy)
- One quarter of a ripe melon
- One ripe passion fruit
- One bunch of scallions
- One small bunch of mint leaves
- One garlic leaves
- One table spoon of good olive oil
- Two teaspoons of fresh cracked black pepper
- Salt to taste
- As an extra you could roll and slice some cured ham (I used Bayonne ham)
Step by Step to Melon and Feta Salad
- Make your marinated feta
- Wash and drain your salad.
- Deseed and cut your melon in bite size chunks.
- Mix your salad, melon, feta and cut scallions in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, scoop the flesh of the passion fruit and mix it with the grated garlic and olive oil.
- Spoon the dressing over the salad and mix it until all the leaves are coated.
- Taste the summer.