Feta And Courgette Fritters
I’ve been growing courgettes the last few years and so do my friends Kats, Viv and Tinka. So we tend to swap recipes a lot. This recipe for courgette fritters comes, courteousy of Kats, all the way from sunny Timmersdala in Sweden.
These courgette fritters are delicious served dunked in my sweet chili sauce.
- 2 courgettes (medium size or just 1 large courgette)
- 1 block of feta cheese (you should buy proper greek feta)
- 2 eggs (large ones)
- 60 g of flour (for this you can go gluten free and use rice or corn flour)
- A large handful of herbs (there is no right or wrong here, I simply use what’s growing in my garden: mint, basil, chives, parlsey, dill will all work really well)
- 2 cloves of garlic (grated)
- Half a teaspoon of baking powder
- Half a teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon of chopped chili
- Extra: peppers/ sweet corn/ shallot/ spinach/ tuna/ trout
Step by step to feta and courgette fritters
- Grate the courgettes and mix them with a generous sprinkle of salt.
- Leave them to drain in a colander for 30 min
- In another bowl, whip the eggs up until you get a slight froth.
- Crumb in the cheese.
- Add the grated garlic and chopped herbs
- Rinse the courgettes and squeeze the water out of them until no more water comes out.
- Add it to the egg batter and mix.
- You then start to add your flour, bit by bit, maybe a tablespoon at a time.
- Heat up a frying pan to a medium heat and add some oil.
- Drop a table spoon of the mixture in the oil.
- Turn the heat down to low.
- Let the patties cook for 3 to 4 min or until golden brown underneath.
- Flip the courgette fritters and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes.
- Serve warm.