CARAMEL AND APPLE MUFFIN CAKE
This is just another take on my basic muffin cake. The last time I made raspberry and blackberry muffin cake and this time it’s caramel and apple muffin cake. Both equally simple and both absolutely scrumptious.
I tend to make a cake to use up bits that are lying around, ends of jars, that type of thing, so this one used up a couple of apples and the rest of the Bonne Maman salted caramel sauce, I used in the quick apple and caramel tart recipe. If a combination works, I’m always happy to use it again under a different form.
There are naturally other caramel sauces on the market and you can buy some absolutely everywhere these days. You could make your own but this cake doesn’t call for anything that fancy. The shop bought stuff is absolutely just fine.
- 250 g of plain flour
- 100 g of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 250 ml of milk
- 50 ml of olive oil
- 2 to 3 apples depending on the size
- 2 tablespoons of caramel sauce.
- You need to make sure your oven is really hot so pre-heat it to 200 C.
- Use two separate bowls. Leave the fruits to the side for now.
- In the first bowl mix all your dry ingredients and in your second one mix all your wet ingredients (only one tablespoon of caramel sauce please).
- You can then combine the two together but don’t over beat it or anything. You will get an incredibly silky and shiny batter.
- Add your apples, cored, peeled and chopped up and pour in an oiled dish. A loaf dish works a treat.
- After 10 min bring down the heat to 180 C and cook for another 30 min or until you do the knife test and it comes out clean.
- Drizzle the rest of your caramel sauce all over the cake.
- Leave it to cool down on a tray before cutting it.