Strawberries And Cream Cake Recipe
Nothing says summer quite like strawberries and cream. Why not take them to the next level and turn them into more of a show piece with this simple strawberries and cream cake recipe?
I made this with my friends two kids (7 and 10) and we had a great auld time in the kitchen. They broke the eggs and stirred and mixed and dipped their fingers in and ate way too much raw batter. The last time we made a simple vanilla cake recipe so this time we tried to expand our repertoire a little with this strawberries and cream cake.
If you want to get a bit freaky you could try using chocolate extract. Me I don’t allow fruit near my chocolate but I hear some folk enjoy that kind of thing.
This strawberries and cream cake is sponge like in texture if slightly more dense. It’s a good bite and a little goes a long way. A most satisfying dessert.
- 225 self rising flour
- 225 g butter (at room temperature)
- 225 g sugar
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 4 large happy eggs
- 1 punnet of deliciously ripe strawberries
- 30 cl of double cream
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Pre heat the oven to 180 C
- In a large bowl, add your flour, butter (cubed and soft), sugar, eggs and baking powder. Whisk until the mixture is fully combined and falls easily off a spoon.
- Butter a mould and pour the cake batter in. Cook in the oven for 30 min (check from 25 min) and do the knife test. The cake is cooked when it’s golden on the outside and the knife comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool down naturally and while its temperature is coming down, whisk the cream and vanilla extract until it is mounted into a thick and luxurious whipped cream.
- Once the cake is at room temperature, lash the cream on top and spread it thickly and decorate with the strawberries.