Saffron Chicken Recipe
Love saffron but don’t know what to do with it? This saffron chicken recipe has got you covered. Trying it is loving it.
I was reading Sabrina Ghayour’s Persiana over the weekend. Yes, I know, again. I was looking for inspiration and wanted to cook something new. She had a gorgeous recipe for saffron and rosemary recipe which I adapted a bit. She pan fries the chicken and I don’t. I also added a bit of heat to mine with some chili flakes for this saffron chicken recipe.
At this stage, I’m mentioning Sabrina’s books so often, I feel obliged to confirm that I bought the book with my own money and I’m in no way getting paid for the mentions. I’m just sharing with you my take on my favourite cook book. And one day, I will start cooking from another book. I’m just not quite there yet.
This quick and easy saffron chicken recipe is an easy mid week dinner. As it’s fragrant without being hot, it will feed every one happily.
You could, like Sabrina, fry the chicken pieces gently, but I love them poached in the marinade. Cooking it in the water keeps it wonderfully moist and tender. I serve this with fries which I make in my actifry. Which reminds me, I really really must tell you about my actifry soon. It makes the best fries. The very best. No contest. Aaaaanyway, back to my saffron chicken recipe.
- 1 chicken breast per person
- 1 pinch of saffron per person
- 1 teaspoon of chopped fresh rosemary per person
- 0.5 clove of garlic per person
- Chilli flakes to taste
- A drizzle of toasted sesame seed oil
- In a deep container, pour one cup of boiling water for every chicken breast you plan to cook.
- Bash your saffron in a pestle and mortar and add it to your just boiled water.
- Reserve and let it cool to room temperature
- Once the water is cooled down, add your chopped rosemary, your oil, your grated garlic, your pepper, chilli flakes and chicken cut in strips.
- Cover and let this marinate at room temperature for about 2 hours or refrigerate over night.
- When you’re ready to start cooking, fish out your chicken and put your marinade to boil.
- Add your chicken and cook for no more than 10 min. By then it will be cooked through and succulent.