Pickled Carrots Salad
Every couple of weeks I buy a bag of carrots and nearly every week I end up throwing it away. I don’t know what it is about carrots, they rarely inspire me. Lately, I have been making this salad. Since it lasts very well and is a good side salad, I’m now using and eating all my carrots. You will notice that there are no oils or added sugars in this salad. It is as healthy, yet tasty, as you could wish for. Let me know if you try it.
- 1 kg of carrots
- 1 lemon
- 2 oranges (blood oranges if possible)
- 3 medium shallots
- 5 garlic cloves
- 2 table spoon of apple vinegar
- 1 table spoon of soy sauce
- 2 table spoons of olive oil
- 2 tea spoons of salt
- 1 table spoon of crushed black pepper
- 1 bag of dill
- Grate the carrots and garlic cloves.
- Juice the lemon and oranges.
- Shred the shallots.
- Chop the dill (including the stalks) very finely.
- Mix all your liquid ingredients.
- Mix the carrots, garlic, salt, pepper and dill in a bowl.
- Pour the liquid over the salad and mix well.
- Spoon the salad and liquids in an airtight container.
- Toss the salad every few hours for the next two days. This allows all the carrots bathe in the juices and marinate evenly.
Photos by Tinkafoto.