Oven Baked Breaded Tomatoes
I love this recipe for oven baked breaded tomatoes. It’s simple and satisfying and will accompany meats and fish beautifully.
Bread and tomatoes are, for me, one of life’s great classics. Like bread and cheese. Or cheese and wine. Or even better, bread with cheese and a glass of wine on the side. I often buy tomatoes a few kilos at a time and will eat them more or less every day. And so I am forever looking for new ways of cooking or pairing them. This delicious breaded tomatoes recipe is one of those happy accidents which can happen when you’re just rummaging through your presses and start throwing things together.
Follow these steps and you will end up with a gorgeous plate of oven baked breaded tomatoes.
- 4 large tomatoes
- 2 handfuls of breadcrumbs
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon of mixed herbs
- 1 teaspoon of fresh thyme
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
Method for oven baked breaded tomatoes
- Pre-heat your oven to 140 C or gas mark 4.
- Cut your tomatoes into 5 mm slices
- Drizzle your tomatoes with olive oil and season them with the salt, pepper and fresh thyme.
- Put your tomatoes in the oven for about 20 min.
- While your tomatoes are cooking, pour some olive oil in a pan on low heat and add your bread crumbs, your grated garlic and your mixed herbs.
- Cook this on low heat until the bread crumbs have soaked up the oil.
- By the time the 20 minutes have passed, your tomatoes should be lovely and soft and your bread crumbs mixture should be golden and nearly crispy.
- Taste the bread crumbs and adjust the seasoning if required.
- Spoom your crumbs on top of your tomato slices and bring them back to your oven for 10 min.
If you wanted to add a bit of vavavoum to your bread crumbs you could simply grate some hard italian cheese in them. The salty tanginess of a Grand Padano would work very well with this dish.